Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Pre-Conference Thoughts



(Old City Jerusalem)


After a rather uneventful transatlantic flight, (Thank you Lord!) Courtney and I finally made it to Israel-Palestine. We arrived shortly before noon local time and made it to our hotel seemingly before anyone else from the conference. Hence, WE SLEPT! While the flight was a great experience, travelling for 11 hours without the ability to lie down takes its toll on your body.


We slept so good in fact, that we overslept for dinner. By the time we received a call from the conference personnel, we had to rush downstairs in order to grab a few morsels. Shortly thereafter we had the opportunity to meet and receive directives from the conference staff as it pertains to our schedule over the next two weeks. We then had a chance to fellowship with the other attendees who are literally from all over the world, i.e. South Africa, the Netherlands, France, Great Britain, Brazil, etc.


From a few minutes before we landed up until the present moment, I have a felt a sense of awe. While the conference has not yet begun, I feel tremendously blessed to experience this part of the world first-hand. For my entire life, I, along with the rest of the Western world have heard the news reports of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Yet what is becoming clearer to me from my reading (prior to leaving Cleveland) and my brief personal interactions thus far, there are multiple perspectives from the Palestinian angle that I never considered… especially the Palestinian Christian perspective!


Given my heartfelt passion to better serve the interest of “the least of these,” I am looking forward to learning more about the conflict from the testimonies of dehumanization and sociopolitical oppression that so many of our Palestinian brothers and sisters have had to endure. In so doing, I believe it will enhance my outlook on serving within the culturally-rich context of the African-American community.


Thank you Lord for this great opportunity. Thank you for your travelling mercy, grace, and love. Our prayer is that you would use this time to further enrich our marriage and ministries that we may be better equipped to serve You, and Your purposes. Have your way… and we will be so careful to give You the praise. In Jesus name. Amen.


Cory C. Jenkins


2 comments:

  1. God keep you well Team Jenkins, and return you to us refreshed and inspired.

    My Mom and I traveled to Israel in 1983 with a group from Shiloh, when there was conflict in the Gaza strip. But I felt safe traveling throughout the country...I felt a peace and since of wonder I will never forget. Best trip I've ever taken. I'm sure you will return with many great pictures and stories to share.
    Love you Both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this experience. Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete